Did you know that ridesharing includes walking, biking, taking public transport, telecommuting, carpooling, or vanpooling to work?
SANBAG is responsible for efforts throughout San Bernardino County to encourage commuters to vanpool, use public transit, cycle, walk, or carpool to work. This is primarily accomplished by working directly with large and small employers, as well as providing support to commuters who wish to share rides or use alternative forms of transportation.
For further information on programs offered in San Bernardino, as well as throughout Southern California, go to the Inland Empire’s one-stop website for traveler and rideshare information, www.IE511.org .
- Employer Assistance
- Rideshare Rewards
- More Information
Many employers are concerned with the issues of traffic congestion and air quality, just like commuters. To address these concerns, SANBAG's IE Commuter Program assists San Bernardino County employers of all sizes with their rideshare programs.
This service is provided to employers as a bi-county partnership of SANBAG and the Riverside County Transportation Commission. The San Bernardino County portion of IE Commuter is funded exclusively through the federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality program, as well as the county's half-cent transportation sales tax, Measure I.
IE Commuter assists employers with development and maintenance of rideshare programs by providing information and support services free of charge to San Bernardino County employers. These services include:
- Technical Assistance and Services -- IE Commuter acts as a no cost resource to employers developing trip reduction plans for the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) Rule 2202 compliance. IE Commuter assists employers with Average Vehicle Ridership (AVR) calculation, information and assessment, SCAQMD Rule 2202 interpretation, and provides rideshare marketing campaign materials to promote ridesharing at their worksite.
- Continuing Education - IE Commuter hosts periodic employee transportation coordinator marketing workshops which offer ongoing educational programs.
- Special Events - IE Commuter develops, organizes and implements regional events, such as Inland Empire Rideshare Week, workshops focusing on congestion management, air quality rules and issues, and an annual employer awards event.
- Ride Matching - Log on to www.iecommuter.org to find information for online ride matching and much more.
For more information about starting a ridesharing program:
- Call toll-free, 1-866-RIDESHARE (1-866-743-3742)
- E-mail email@example.com
Rideshare Incentive Program: Vanpool Incentives
To encourage new vanpools, startup subsidies are being offered to new vanpools that originate and terminate in San Bernardino County.
Victor Valley Transit Authority (VVTA) Subsidy
VVTA and SANBAG have secured a federal grant to jump start an ongoing, vanpool subsidy program for vanpools that either originate or terminate in the greater Victor Valley. Greater Victor Valley includes the the communities of Adelanto, Apple Valley, Barstow, Helendale, Hesperia, Lucerne Valley, Victorville, Phelan, Piñon Hills, Oro Grande, Wrightwood, as well as surrounding unincorporated areas within this general geographic area.
Qualified vanpools receive up to $400 per month, on an ongoing basis, to help defray the vanpool costs.
Note: Vanpools that qualify for the subsidy may not also receive the SANBAG $2 a day or 9-month staggered vanpool incentive, or any other subsidy from neighboring vanpool programs.
SANBAG 9-Month Subsidy
Each new vanpool receives:
- $1,800 over the course of a 9 month period $300 per month for the first three months
- $200 per month for the second three months
- $100 per month for the final three months
Note: If fewer than 100% of the vanpool riders are Inland Empire residents, the incentive amount will be prorated accordingly, i.e. if eight of ten riders on a vanpool are Inland Empire residents, the vanpool will receive 80% of the total incentive.
The incentive is paid directly to the vanpool leasing company. All arrangements, from vanpool formation to final lease agreements, are made directly with the vanpool vendors. The incentive will start when the vanpool group takes delivery of the van and begins operation of the new vanpool.
To qualify for the Vanpool Incentive Program, the vanpool must:
- be established for the very first time (a completely new vanpool)
- must start with and maintain a minimum of five people in the vanpool
- have five or more persons commuting on a regular basis to and from work in a van
- be comprised of participants who have not commuted to work in a vanpool in the previous 180 days (with the exception of the vanpool driver)
- be made up of at least 65% of riders living in Riverside or San Bernardino counties, and originate in the Inland Empire
- vanpool riders may not receive any other publicly funded financial incentive while they are participating in this program
For More Information
For additional information call Inland Empire Commuter Assistance Program office at 1.866.RIDESHARE (1.866.743.3742).
Finding Carpool/Vanpool Partners
Log onto www.iecommuter.org, select “Find a Carpool/Vanpool", log on and register in our database so that you can find a carpool or vanpool that meets your needs. You will instantly receive a RideGuide which provides alternative options to driving alone.
Rideshare Rewards Program: Rideshare Plus
Did you know that ridesharing includes walking, biking, taking public transit, carpooling, vanpooling, or
telecommuting to work?
SANBAG encourages commuters to use any of these alternative modes of transportation, while at the same
time saving money and earning Rideshare Rewards! Whether you choose to walk, bike, take public transit,
carpool, vanpool, or telecommute to work, we appreciate your efforts to ease traffic congestion and improve
air quality. If you currently rideshare to work or are interested in joining, you may qualify for Rideshare
Rewards. Find out what you may qualify for below:
$2/Day Rideshare Rewards Program
By joining a carpool or van pool, taking public transit, walking, biking, or telecommuting to work, San
Bernardino and Western Riverside County residents may be eligible to earn $2/day in gift card incentives for the first
To qualify for the $2/day Rideshare Rewards Program, you must:
- Be a resident of San Bernardino or Western Riverside County
- Be new to ridesharing
- Rideshare to work a minimum of five (5) days per month for three (3) consecutive months
- Work for an employer that participates in the IE Commuter program
To see if you qualify and to find nearby rideshare matches, call 1.866.RIDESHARE (1.866.743.3742) or sign up
Rideshare Plus Rewards Program
If you currently rideshare to work by taking public transit, walking, biking, carpooling, vanpooling, or
telecommuting to work, you may be eligible for RidesharePlus, an incentive rewards program that offers an
Entertainment coupon book with access to 200,000 discounts online.
To qualify for the Rideshare Plus Program, you must:
- Be a resident of San Bernardino or Western Riverside County
- Rideshare to work a minimum of five (5) days per month
- Have been ridesharing for three (3) consecutive months
To learn more about the program and to see if you qualify, call 1.866.RIDESHARE (1.866.743.3742) or sign up
DRIVE LESS. SMILE MORE.
Looking for the latest rideshare info and tips? There are two newsletters: one for commuters and one for Southern California Employee Transporation Coordinators (ETCs).
For More Rideshare Information...
Here are additional resources for your rideshare commute:
- Bike Routes
Find bike routes that suit your commuting needs. Information is available in the SANBAG Non-Motorized Transportation Plan.
Find Bus/Metrolink/Rail information online at www.IE511.org (maintained by Google Transit on behalf of Southern California transit providers), for bus and rail schedules, fares, stops, maps and much more.
- Find a Carpool/Vanpool Partner
Register at www.iecommuter.org to find a carpool or vanpool that meets your needs. You will instantly receive a RideGuide which provides alternative options to driving alone.
- Park & Ride
Browse Park & Ride lots located throughout Southern California at www.IE511.org. You can also see a list of Park & Ride lots in San Bernardino County here.
- Regional Guaranteed Ride Home Program
Learn more about the regional Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH) Program, a cooperative program of SANBAG and other Rideshare agencies, at www.commutesmart.info. Go to the “Employer Services” section and select “Tools and Support”. This program provides eligible commuters who rideshare with a free ride home (taxi or Enterprise Rental Car), in the event of an unexpected emergency or other circumstance.
- SANBAG's Rideshare Incentive and Reward Programs
Learn more about SANBAG's rideshare incentive and reward programs, employer rideshare services, Park and Ride lot locations. To receive a RideGuide or other commuter alternatives, visit www.iecommuter.org for a variety of ridesharing and commuting information in Southern California or contact :
Toll-Free 1.866.RIDESHARE (1.866.743.3742)